Monday, February 2, 2009

BIG MONEY LEADS TO BIG BLUNDERS

Now that all the dust has settled and the transfer window has closed, we can take a moment to look at all the movers and shakers this off season. This off season there seems to have been a case of " Might have been". With the real big moves not coming off but as usual there were those that would raise eyebrows. ( This was written in October)

Lets look at juicy tranfer news first the moves that did not happen.

Real madrid as usual completed their pre-season ritual of creating a ruckus by " apparently " lauching an audcious bid for Christiano Ronaldo. They do this every season, there Figo, Ronaldo, Beckham, Zizou and so on but thankfully it did not happen.

Then there was Robinho's move to Chelsea which was an apparent done deal to the extent they had printed Robinho jersey's for sale at the bridge.

Another expected move which did not materialse in any manner was that of the " Russian General " Andrei Arshavin, there was no club that could afford him, which mostly should change come the winter transfer window.
Then there was the much hyped mass exodus from Chelsea to Inter Milan for the Mourinho reunion. I am glad frankie Lampard decided against the move for what ever be the reason.
Last was Gareth Barry's move from Aston Villa to Liverpool which failed to materialise. Oh.. there was also Man City's bid for Ronnie ( are you out of your mind ).

Now lets look at the questionable acquisitions this off season:



I know a lot of people might disagree with me on this one but its my blog so.. The 20.3 million Pound transfer of Robbie Keane to Liverpool from Tottenham. I mean Its not like they have a lack to strike power at Liverpool. Well i guess Rafa likes a star studded bench. In my opinion they need some wingers not stikers to diversify their attack.


Robinho's move to Man City, to look at this move beyond the aspect of monetary benefit is very hard for me. I mean Robinho in my opnion was not heart of real success in past few seasons I think that credit goes to the like of Guti and Sneijder. The club over payed for a temperamental player with a questionable attitude.



Ricardo Quaresma for 44 million USD to Inter Milan. I would not like question Jose Mourinho but is the price tag not a little too excessive for some one who has failed at big stage many a time.
For Example at Barcelona and Porto


I had written this post on the 5th of October never posted but Wow!!! was I right about my top 3 blunders:
Keane is now going back to spurs for 12 million pounds. He hardly played at Liverpool, the much much hyped Keane-Torres partnership never even came to be. I told you you are paying too much !!!!

Ricardo Quaresma is now going to Chelsea on loan move. I have no idea what the logic behind that is??? I mean Jose " the mouth " mourinho could not get him to perform and now Big Phil Scolari wants to bring him to Stamford bridge, which fast turning in to the " theatre of Big signing flops ". I mean shevchenko, Ballack, Wayne Bridge, Malouda, Branislav Ivanovic I would go to the extent of saying Deco has been far from impressive after the initial few weeks.

Robinho... I have no idea what to say about his team or him. Sudden exit from camp, sexual assault charges and team that will mostly end the season with mid table mediocrity. Only goes to show money spent is guarentee for success

And the future of Andrei Arshavin still is as unclear as when I first started this post back in October only difference being it now the Gunners who are pursuing him and not Spurs.


P.S Real madrid have signed 3 players Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Lassana Diarra and the last one is relatively unknown player Julien Faubert from West Ham who himself agrees that intially thought Madrid's interest in him was some sort of a practical joke being played on him. Its funny how some these signings turn out and for once may be madrid have got it right. I mean its eventual you will get one atleast right, even if you are Real Madrid

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrei Arshavin is joining the gunners mate..

mohith said...

I heard the deal finally went through.. may b a late season comeback is on now ????