Friday, February 20, 2009

ONE FOR THE LITTLE GUY: THE FINAL INCH & SMILE PINKI

The other day I was just surfing the net found something that left me dumbfounded completely. A nominee for the Oscar in the short documentary category is a movie titled: “The Final Inch". If you are wondering why this left me stunned then read on. It is a documentary on the real life story of a 26 year old Indian M Gulzar Saifi and work done by polio eradication workers in our country. Gulzar Saifi had fallen victim to polio when he was 6 months old but despite the inherent difficulties of being a physically challenged person in India he has gone on to earn a post graduate in economics and now runs a teaching center. Now that is a story that definitely deserves an Oscar. This documentary is directed American director Irene Taylor Brodsky.


Then there is another Oscar nominee in the short documentary category with an Indian bias
“Smile Pinki". The protagonist of the story is a 6 year old named Pinki who cannot go to school because of her cleft lips. It shows her battle with social stigma until she gets help from a social worker who gets her free surgery. This movie is directed by Megan Mylan.



Now I wonder how in the world do a stories like this not come to the fore in the mainstream media?? Nobody talks about these movies why?? I am sure of one thing, as an Indian I would rather one of these 2 movies win and they be used to symbolize our nation. I mean no disrespect to slumdog but I feel these movies best represent my country. In our nation there are many things that are bad, atrocious and disgusting but despite all this we get up every day (we may not admit it) with the hope and belief that things will get better today. The Idea of hope is eternal in India and is probably India's greatest weapon.


So honestly hope that one these movies win and they finally get recognition they deserve. The little guy must get his day in the sun too... slumdog or no slumdog.

P.s

for my opinion on slumdog click here

one of the places where the movies were mentioned was the GOOGLE BLOG !!! yaaaay

4 comments:

R!@ said...

I totally agree...am actually surprised Slumdog has been getting so much hype. Agreed..it is a nice movie..but I think expected more from it because it was in the news so much. I want to watch these 2 documentaries that you mentioned..

Anonymous said...

+1
Really don't get why its getting the uness hype !!!

M0H!TH said...

@ria I agree with you its a good movie... that is it ... nothin more nothing less but if you are going to say that india's hope for the oscars is riding on slumdog... I am offended.

@swetha i swear re movie dekho enjoi karo after tht lite lo... its not some full inspiring movie :)

Anonymous said...

Well said my friend...agree with it completely