Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Luke, come over to the dark side!!!


The words of one of the most immortal villain's (Darth Vader) of all time, appears to be very apt for my current state of being. I feel as if I am slowly but steadily moving over to the dark side, which begs the question what is the dark side??? 3 years ago when I graduated from VIT, I vociferously denounced the idea of going to the US to do a masters in engineering and fit the stereotypical definition of a "Gult". Then somehow in found myself working at the most awesome company in the world "Google" (Yes, the story about the F3 key in college is true. There I said it) but I still worked at Google and was good at what I did, so in your face !!!!.


But coming back to the point, working at Google I felt I was a long way from the concept of " MS in US" , I had totally forgotten about the desperate measures I had resorted to after going to the CTS training program I had given the GRE and applied to 4 colleges. Then somehow after a strange sequence of events which I find difficult to rationalize now, I found myself in College Station Texas doing masters in Industrial Engineering. I came here saying I would love to get back as soon as I can and I miss every single as aspect of India and find it difficult to get used to most aspects of life here.


Now, two years hence I find that not only have I got used to those very aspects but they have become second nature to me,

I have picked up a moderate accent with respect to certain words like fast = phast, you all = y'all, and many more …

Football no longer relates to F.C Barcelona (would have never imagined) but the Dallas Cowboys/ New Orleans Saints.

I find myself telling people to please state the word "soccer" when talking about the champion's league or at least say European football.

Prefer watching the Superbowl instead of watching a test match which involves India fighting to stay number 1 in the world.

I seem to have gotten so caught up with the whole "school spirit" thing that my wardrobe is 75% maroon ... almost everything I wear says Texas A&M or Aggies on it ... I so need a wardrobe change its not funny people might actually start thinking I have only 2-3 t-shirts.

Use the word "soda" with reference to Pepsi and Coke and find almost impossible to have a meal or watch a movie or watch a game without them by my side.

I find myself guzzling down Gatorade/Powerade like nobody's business before playing/while playing/after playing.

All of sudden temperatures between 13-17 degrees is pleasant weather, this coming from the same guy who used to wear a sweatshirt in Vellore and used slept using a bedding that contained 2 bedsheets and a blanket.

The last full soccer game I watched was the el classico and before that was the champion's league final.

I used to think people who hit the gym were just too lazy and crazy to play organized sport but now I hit the gym almost 4 times a week ( so jay watch out I still have an outside chance of making good on our bet).

I seem to developing a strange liking for mashed potato and beef in most forms. (Hope my mom never reads this, she ask me to go to the Ganges to take a bath before enter the house again.)

It has got to the point where even " Taco Hell " seems alright , even though in actual truth it is not !!! I have just let my standards slip so much ...

Beer seems to be the form of only alcohol that I can take, Rum and Vodka are things of the past (so guys no more crazy shot nights like the last time we in eXcess or at Jatti's place for me)

I just love watching Desperate Housewives, there I said it. I just cannot understand why people cannot digest the fact that I love watching that series!!!!!


Don't get me wrong my love and longing for India or to be back in India has not diminished by even an inch but somehow I find myself enjoying the very things I could not even stand initially. At point this point of time I find myself looking for a job here in the US and even dabbling with idea of delaying my graduation so as to get a job. Sometimes I feel like a major hypocrite of an insane measure. I find myself becoming the one thing I vowed to not become "a stereotypical gult".


No disrespect to those of you who are. I just do not want turn in to one of these people who visits India once in a blue moon forgets about life there and loses sync with life in India, forgets about his friends and does a pathetic job of staying in touch with his friends (extremely guilty of the later, especially with regards to my friends from VIT, I might be out of sight and not very active with regards to the phone …but I will never forget you all) Basically I don't want be stop being the one thing I want to be most "Indian "and then a " Hyderabadi".

Guys please do not hesitate to slap me back in to my senses , if I ever lose sight of that.

So this goes out to all my friends in India,


Special mention: lieutenant Tarun Chauhan, Kevin John ,Billu,Harry, Anoo, Amlaan and Bunny.







20 comments:

Joshua said...

Hilarious!
But sacrificing soccer for desperate housewives not cool :(

bhargav said...

Good post dude... Loved the phrase " a stereotypical gult"

Unknown said...

"Mohith, come over to the dark side!!!" - Dr. Pepper

mohith said...

@Josh: I didn't sacrifice sport for Desperate Housewives yet!!!

@chunchu:No never... I will not succumb to that....

Unknown said...

That is exactly what you said to most of the above things....just try it once...you will truly come to the dark side..lol

Vignesh Anand said...

post has genuine rao written all over...

oh btw, all these things making you a hypocrite is Bull Shit...enjoyin wereva u are is all that matters :)

nice post man..cheers

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

jayan said...

6 pac my ass.. and eat all the fuckin fries and guzzle all the soda in the world you want man.. but no white boy is ever gonna satisfy you.. ;)

Your lust for jij will bring you back in this life or the next.. ok too dramatic.. this month or the next..

Unpardonable sin don't fucking call football soccer ever!!!

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Paul Ancill said...

Very funny stuff! Love it.

www.walksindorset.co.uk
Things to do and places to visit in Dorset for free.

Unknown said...

We shall facilitate to have the finalized call centers demonstrate their abilities and experience to you. If after this demonstration and round discussions, you suggest whether you wish to proceed with a call center as a provider of choice, you are welcome to enter into a service level agreement with them after you are satisfied.
================
seo services

TeenBlogger said...

LOL! Love it :)

William Rey Ong said...

Great post.

Visit my website

tarun said...

it was alt f4 . . Cheers

Nurten said...

Nice post and words! And be on the dark side of the force is GREAT!!

Braydon said...

nice to make in this blog spot nice to read this blogs
====================
non voice projects

Anonymous said...

I really Like Your posts. its really interesting articles keep it up of good work :)

Agoodic Digital Co. Ltd said...

this is a good post, thanks.
ainol novo 7 aurora
Ainol Novol 7 Paladin
Ainol Novo 7 Elf from buybuyseller.com

Zheng said...

he answer is yes Chanel Sunglasses. French fashion house has confirmed the Brit model as the face of their Boy Chanel handbag collection. [Karl Lagerfeld] a crush with this unique, charismatic dude, who's both one and musician, during the photo shoot several months ago, Chanel told WWD. This previously unforeseen alliance finally became self-evident. Alice Dellal represents the most perfect incarnation off which is unique in regards to the Boy Chanel handbag collection, which strives [to be] not even close conformist notions of femininity.
Yep, Dellal is anything but conventional. And even her trademark punk-rock uniform, the petite 24-year-old is actually a drummer while in the band Thrush Metal and will remain found larking for the streets based in london with Pixie Geldof. Shes far from blonde bombshell Blake Lively, whos the existing face of Chanels Mademoiselle range, but Lagerfeld is acknowledged for his eclectic taste, previously casting Lily Allen for the Cocoon bag range during the past year Ray Ban Sunglasses sale. Even greater, Alice's androgyny will work brilliantly with the 'Boy' collection Oakley Sunglasses. How refreshing. Ray Ban Sunglasses

Unknown said...

Great story, I really enjoyed reading about your new culture experiences in the US.